02 February 2022

European Nation Registrations : 2021


I would love to use more data from ACEA but when it comes to sales by make, it's too limited and they don't even start on model registrations. So I leave it to this, by nation, which is sufficiently broad in scope.  

Germany is always at the top and always will be but not a great year, with sales down 10%. Perhaps the discounts weren't big enough as I hear German car buyers drive a hard bargain. There is nothing between France and the UK. The low countries didn't do very well but further north in Norway their support for electric cars may have worked in their favour. 

Electric is being strongly promoted in Europe although pictures like this above send out a negative message to me. Showing someone waiting for the car to charge may be realistic but is it a favorable image to send out? It probably won't put anyone off though, it's just me being overanalytical.

I have in the past added some nations beyond ACEA members but decided not to this year. The data may in some cases be based on quite different criteria and in other cases slow to arrive in the public arena.

Data source: ACEA.

No comments:

Post a Comment