04 March 2018

Subaru Car Production : 2016/17 (April-March)


Subaru is a small brand and especially so in its home market. It survives by being different and sales in the North American market. More recently Toyota taking a share has and will be a major benefit too. So how are things going? Sales were up 11% in the March to April 2017 period compared to the previous equivalent time frame.

For years Subaru sat on the mid to high 500,000's and then moved on in 2011 to the point that the million unit sales has now been passed. That wasn't achieved with a range of new models but the existing ones selling in greater numbers.

The range is based around three models, the Legacy, Impreza and Forester. The 'mini' category which I'm sure refers to Kei cars has been winding down which is unimportant as they are probably not that profitable anyway. Other models such as the utility Exiga and Tribeca didn't do well. The Levorg is the wagon variant of the Legacy.

13 14 15 16 17 Brand 2017 % +/-
2016 % +/-
2 3 2 2 1 Legacy 344,404 32.4% 15%
298,337 31.1% 3%
1 1 3 1 2 Imprez/WRX 344,187 32.3% 12%
307,142 32.1% 9%
3 2 1 3 3 Forester 297,007 27.9% 9%
272,116 28.4% -6%
4 4 4 4 4 Mini 32,542 3.1% -3%
33,702 3.5% -3%
- - - 5 5 Levorg 30,598 2.9% -2%
31,268 3.3% n/a
5 5 5 6 6 BRZ 8,880 0.8% -5%
9,382 1.0% -4%
6 6 6 7 7 Exiga 4,284 0.4% -5%
4,498 0.5% 132%

Total 1,064,542
11%
957,865
5%

When looking at sales by region, it is obvious that there is heavy reliance on North America. If that region's car sales plunged for any reason, Subaru would find itself badly exposed. 68% of sales are generated there. 15% are sold in Japan with combined is 83% of total sales. Australia does well for its size to take nearly 50,000 cars but elsewhere could be better.
13 14 15 16 17 Brand 2017 % +/-
2016 % +/-
1 1 1 1 1 Nth America 720,674 67.7% 14%
630,253 65.8% 11%
2 2 2 2 2 Japan 158,935 14.9% 9%
145,288 15.2% -11%
5 5 5 4 3 Australia 49,106 4.6% 10%
44,611 4.7% 15%
3 3 4 6 4 Europe 46,253 4.3% 11%
41,778 4.4% -12%
6 6 6 3 5 Rest 45,574 4.3% -12%
51,547 5.4% 36%
4 4 3 5 6 China 44,000 4.1% -1%
44,388 4.6% -18%

Total 1,064,542
11%
957,865
5%

Data source: Subaru.

Summary: Subaru does well with a limited range of cars. It should be spreading its sales in a broader fashion but it doesn't seem to be working out that way. In fact North America has increased its share every year from 2009. You have to take the sales wherever they come from and North Americans get Subaru, even if the rest of the world doesn't to the same degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment