02 September 2017

Russia / UK / Germany JLR Comparison : 2010-16


These three countries are the biggest in Europe so an obvious mix. The Russian average 2010 to 2016 registrations of some 2,260,000 includes light commercial sales. Both the UK (2,300,000) and Germany (3,100,000) do not. However, I did slip in Land Rover lcv sales for the latter two countries. This makes the totals comparable but it does distort slightly the market share figure.

Russia: Jaguar represents a lowly 8.5% of all JLR sales for the period, although 2016's 18.5% was a marked improvement. The recent slump in JLR registrations for the past few years was mirrored by the market as a whole. In the end LR took 0.67% of the Russian total, Jaguar 0.06% for a combined 0.73%. Not amazing but as imported marques with tariffs on them above what could be expected.



Russia

2,257,100

Yr LR Jag JLR % Jag

10 9,970 858 10,828 7.9

11 13,183 1,147 14,330 8.0

12 19,043 1,465 20,508 7.1

13 21,030 1,681 22,711 7.4

14 21,148 1,628 22,776 7.1

15 11,605 972 12,577 7.7

16 9,122 2,073 11,195 18.5




Tot 105,101 9,824 114,925 8.5

% 0.67 0.06 0.73

UK: In their home market, they do well. Jaguar has a consistently solid percentage of the JLR total. not dropping below 20%. The F-Pace hasn't had the amazing impact it has had elsewhere, due I presume to the other Jaguar models doing well already. If I wanted to be picky, I'd like to see Jaguar do slightly better.

Land Rover has a consistent increase pattern throughout the seven years. The Defender was a popular model yet its loss doesn't seem to be hurting that much. It's average penetration is a very strong 2.65%. Add Jag's 0.86% and JLR come out with 3.51% of all UK sales.



United Kingdom

2,298,300

Yr LR Jag JLR % Jag

10 42,147 16,419 58,566 28.0

11 43,846 13,787 57,633 23.9

12 54,543 14,109 68,652 20.6

13 61,343 16,210 77,553 20.9

14 64,630 18,401 83,031 22.2

15 76,838 23,954 100,792 23.8

16 83,468 34,822 118,290 29.4




Tot 426,815 137,702 564,517 24.4

% 2.65 0.86 3.51

Germany: Jaguar's share of JLR in Germany isn't dissimilar to the UK. Likewise, 2016 wasn't a huge upturn. Land Rover has also had a steady growth through these years. Where the difference is with the UK is market share. LR has just 0.48% and Jaguar 0.15% for a combined 0.63%. So while the UK public is a strong buyer of German premium marques, Germans are less inclined to return the favour.



Germany

3,102,900

Yr LR Jag JLR % Jag

10 7,119 3,166 10,285 30.8

11 8,309 3,094 11,403 27.1

12 12,856 3,197 16,053 19.9

13 14,399 4,160 18,559 22.4

14 16,691 4,229 20,920 20.2

15 21,379 5,006 26,385 19.0

16 24,401 8,713 33,114 26.3




Tot 105,154 31,565 136,719 23.1

% 0.48 0.15 0.63

Summary: Russia's 0.73% share for JLR is not much above Germany's 0.63%. However, as lcv sales are missing from Germany, the gap is wider. LR is the same for both nations while for Jaguar there is a big difference. The UK operates at another level which is to be expected.

Data source: AEB (Russia), SMMT (UK) & KBA (Germany).
Picture source: Netcarshow.

No comments:

Post a Comment