|The GM Astra made a comeback with the new model|
There isn't that much change for year to year for top selling models. Over the past twenty years to 2015, three models were in the Top 10 every year. Many others were there for the vast majority of them. However, one model dropped from the list for the first time over that period. Any idea which one?
As a clue, the two models that have been ever present over that period are the VW Golf and Renault Clio. The Golf has been in the top four the whole time too, being the top seller for 15 of the last 21 years. The Clio has never been the top model and has gone as low as 10th as well.
So the answer to the above question is the Ford Escort/Focus. It didn't miss by much, with 212,000 sold, -9% and came in 11th. The other two to get bumped off the list were the VW Passat and Peugeot 308. So what of the favourite models for 2016?
1) VW Golf 490,299 -7.9% (Last year 1)
2) Renault Clio 308,964 +3.1%. (3)
3) VW Polo 304,663 +1.80%. (4)
4) Ford Fiesta 298,993 -4.6%. (2)
5) GM Corsa 263,416 -1.9%. (5)
6) GM Astra 251,057 +29.7%. (-)
7) Peugeot 208 248,118 +8.0% (8)
8) Nissan Qashqai 233,629 +0.9% (7)
9) Škoda Octavia 225,011 +5.4%. (-)
10) Renault Captur 214,571 +10.8% (-)
Data source: Jato Dynamics.